Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Goodbye for Now

Fifteen months and thirty days ago, I lived through a day in the town of Rock Springs Wyoming, first where the weather broke a sweltering 80 degrees, then changed to rainy, then came a rainbow peeking out of the mountains. I remember the weather, the moments, the details and the feelings of September 4, 2013. I woke up early, ready for the day, because this was no ordinary day; it was a day I was going to have an unforgettable blast of a time. I took little care in getting ready, as I anticipated the day ahead. Then, I realized I wanted to look spectacular and became skeptical with what I was wearing. I decided to request approval for my wardrobe choice. As I stepped out of my room that morning, and I went right over across the hall to one of my older brother’s room. My brother Eric was kind enough to say, “Yes” to my flung on outfit. I felt, as I went in and out of our rooms, that I was playing the reality TV show, “Say Yes to The Dress” except I really needed the perfect outfit. I bugged Eric more than he ever wanted to be bothered, but we both came to conclusion to say, “Yes” to the outfit. My mom reminded me to have my room clean before I left. I shared the room with my younger sister Laura; we have a triple bunk bed with two mirrors right by each other including two closets filled with each other’s clothes. We are best friends and our bond grew stronger and stronger after this major event of this day.

I left our room in a stir of fashion with shirts and clothing strewn about the desk, floor and triple bunk. The multiple pants I took on and off while figuring out the right outfits were plopped all over our floor which was full of makeup stains from getting ready in the mornings. The shoes I tried on were spilling out of both closets. My room was left a mess especially after I finally picked the perfect outfit that would work for this significant day. I was ready to leave but my room was a complete disaster. It looked like a tornado had gone through the whole thing. Laura asked as I was talking with my mom if I would like to use her perfume. I was signaled to go back in my tornado of my room. She quietly whispered in her sweet voice to me, “Julia I can clean it, you need to take off for your day.”

 The old beater car was started. The hood is buckled down with bungee cords, so it will not smack the windshield. The windows work, but the car had no air conditioning. I put on so many miles from my town, Green River to the neighboring town, Rock Springs, with this old beater of a car. I felt like I could drive there with my eyes closed. I collected so many memories in this car that I will not be able to ever forget. The drive from my house to the place I was headed took about 25 minutes, but that day the drive seemed so long.

Turning the corner to my left I saw the home and place I had been getting ready for. I feel like I had been pulling myself across the iron rod trudging through the mist of darkness as it is referenced in the Book of Mormon 2 Nephi chapter 8. I finally reach the tree of life, or the house, as I parked I was taking the last steps towards the front door. I was surprised with a face, a recognizable face, poking in between the crack of the door. This face was no ordinary face, but a face that I had made those miles back and forth for, and the memories I made in that old beater of a car. He has deep blue eyes and sharp cut hair cut. He is ready. Jozef Hunter became one of my best friends I had ever had. He and I spent almost every day that we could together even if we had absolutely nothing to do. We had one of the tightest bonds.

This was the day, the day we both new was coming. We both never really thought that the time would come, and it would be the time to say three words, “Goodbye for Now.” The sky was full of sunshine and it was happy but as the day went on it became cooler and it started to rain. We had spent almost the whole day together until we had to say those three words to each other. As we stepped outside it started to rain. We had one last dance in the rain. His house was in a cul-de-sac where there was a dead end. We had the whole street to ourselves to have one last dance. We danced until the time came that we had to tell each other those three simple words. Saying those words was the hardest thing to say at that time. I felt like I had to ring those words out, I did not want those words to happen; I did not want to say goodbye.

I slowly drove away in tears, the old beater car’s windshield fogged up as I drove home.  The 25 minute drive had seemed like forever. As I pulled up to my house, my mom, the one who pulled me together, wrapped me up and we just sat and cried and sat and cried. I felt like it was the hardest thing I had to do. He was my best friend and I came to know that I love him.

“Goodbye for now.” is the hardest thing I have ever had to say to someone. I have nine months and thirty days left tell I get to say two words to him, “Welcome home.”

2 comments:

  1. I love that this day was both exciting and dreadful. We all know that saying goodbye to missionaries. I loved that you didn't even need to mention that he was going to be a missionary. I think it would be powerful to explain in more detail the inner struggle as you are with him, excited to have the time, but dreading the goodbye. I know when I said goodbye to a missionary, I needed the perfect outfit, but I wouldn't have called it a special day. I wanted to be put into a coma for 3 months and not have to say goodbye. But then it was exhilarating to anticipate the adventures he would tell me and the letters I would see in the mailbox every Thursday with my name on it in his identifiable chicken scratch and a large stamp of Texas on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What stood out to me is how you describe your car and all the memories that you had created in that. The drive from Green River to Rock Springs you could do with your eyes closed and it was a quick drive. To the end after your experience with your friend, it now became the most dragging and dreaded drive. The contrast from the road at one point in your story to another is interesting.

    ReplyDelete