Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Green


            Green.  It went on endlessly. A seemingly never-ending expanse of trees extended as far as the eye could see in either direction, until it crashed with the graying sky on one side, and a rich and heavenly collage on the other.  Orange had been painted across the horizon, with lines and shadows as if a real paintbrush had left it there.  Rays of gold and red nestled into the paint intermittently.  The angles of light allowed tree-covered mounds to rise up out of the forest floor in sporadic patterns, like green waves frozen in time.  
It was not the first time I had hiked the pyramids in that place.  In fact, the jungle was beginning to feel like home to me.  My western-themed bedroom was now just nylon walls surrounded by mosquito net.  Leafy paths became my hallways.  Handmade benches became part of our dining room furniture.  Our oven was made out of clay.  My bathroom was now not so pleasant, but our new endless backyard made it worth the inconvenience. And a miraculous view was available at the top of each staircase. 
I liked being out here.  The solitude and primitive lifestyle made me think.  Not many of the people from home had this.  I guess that adventures were harder to come by in Idaho.  I was privileged to be here.  Then again, back home, they were privileged that they could do their business on something that flushed. The little things I had before, now seemed almost like a dream.  Carpet; the long shaggy kind. Wouldn’t it be awesome to be able to press your cheek up against carpet? Or a mattress! I was so privileged back then.  Why had I taken it for granted?  I didn’t realize that so many people, like the ones here, did not have those things.
We sat. Black shadows of different sizes occasionally soared across the scene, dancing in the last rays of daylight. I remember sitting on that limestone block, taking in the scenery, and chuckling next to my brother.  His scraggly beard was evidence that he had not seen a mirror in months.  His hiking boots were covered in mud, with twigs and leaves plastered to the bottoms.  He clapped his hands together like a seal when he laughed, before leaning his mountain-man-like head on his wrist, his wide shoulders still shaking with laughter.  He seemed so different physically from the clean-cut man I had grown up with, but he was the same in every other sense: always wanting to compliment others; laughing at everyone’s jokes; and he could still quote the entire Dumb and Dumber movie even though he had not seen a television in ages. 
He was the kind of person that had every reason in the world not to be humble, and yet he was; extremely so.  If it wasn’t true that all of the girls wanted him, it certainly was true that all of the guys wanted to be him.  He had kind eyes; especially when he laughed. After composing ourselves, with a chuckle or two here and there, his breathing became slower, and heavier.  His shoulders fell as he breathed out; his face overcome with peace.  “Isn’t it incredible; to think about the people that were here before us?” 
I nodded my approval, and for a moment, I was instantly taken there.  The trees were gone; the walls became vibrant with color once again; and the city buzzed with life.  People scurried about below us as they carried out their assigned tasks.  Some wore jade ornaments. Many were laden with tools, or weapons.  A seemingly never-ending expanse of people extended as far as the eye could see. Men could be seen adding the last blocks to the outer wall.



We were able to be enjoying a moment of peace before the oncoming battle.  “Do you really think we can do it?,” I asked him.  I could see in his eyes that he did.  He was a strong and mighty man; he was a man that did not delight in bloodshed; but he joyed in liberty and freedom for his brethren.  He was thankful for the things he had.  His people enjoyed many privileges and blessings. I knew that he would defend his people, his rights, his country, and his religion, until his last breath.  If all men could like him, surely the devil would be powerless.  I would follow him anywhere; through any battle.  “Come on. We have work to do,” he said with a reassuring smile.
Green again. I was back. We sat.  A seemingly never-ending expanse of trees extended as far as the eye could see in either direction.  The sun was almost gone. A howler monkey roared like a lion in the distance.
“You know, it really is true.”
“What is?”
“The Church.”

“Yeah… I know,” I whispered as a dragonfly landed on a branch next to me. “I know.”

3 comments:

  1. Cool stuff Romney, I liked the imagery of the ancient city and bringing it back to its modern state of "green". Nice work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your description of your new home and the contrast to Idaho. I loved the humor in doing business on something that flushed. And I love the characterization of your brother. That he was like Moroni. Originally I was waiting to see why the girls wanted to date him and the guys to be like him. Now I know exactly why. That was a wonderful set up. What brought you to the jungle? How long were you there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I actually had a lot of fun writing this. My dad is an archaeologist so every summer, while growing up, we would go to Guatemala with him and help him with the digs. We lived in kind of a tent-city set up. Three day hike through jungle to get to the nearest village.

    ReplyDelete