Friday, November 7, 2014

Not the Biological Mother


The classroom has pink puff balls that hang from the ceiling at all different heights. All of the borders on the bulletin boards are polk-a-dot and they encase the children's work. The classroom smells like glue and markers in just the right way and it brings me back to my childhood when I wore bows in my hair and always wore a dress. The light shines through the window and it warms my goose bump filled skin. It look so peaceful outside, but it is complete mayhem inside! Children are playing with puzzles (really fighting over which piece is theirs), the bathroom door opens and closes quicker than a roller coaster at Disneyland, children are yelling for me to help them with spelling, other children need to be comforted because they just said goodbye to their parents, and some children are running tornadoes. It is the perfect Kindergarten classroom. Just the right amount of fun and strictness.

Little Herber comes up to me in his usual blue and white striped shirt, jeans, and white Converse. He immediately puts his head into my stomach and starts balling. I feel his warm tears soak into my thin shirt as I reach for him. I start to tickle him and realize how I love the way his face lights up as he laughs even with the tear streaks are going down his face. He laughs and laughs until he is hunched over. Once I relieve him from the tickle monster he says, "Miss Mary, I love you more than I love my Mom."

"Oh Herber, that is not true. You love your Mom!"

"But Miss Mary, my tummy is growling and it hurts. Mommy didn't have enough food to give to me so she ate it all."

"Well good thing I always have goldfish crackers for you!" He eats his goldfish in the corner away from the other kids. Little Herber is my absolute favorite child. He is sweet, thoughtful, funny, a hard worker, kind to others...the list goes on and on. His family life is extremely difficult. The Dad didn't stay around long enough to ever see his wonderful smile. The mom is too high to even notice she has a child. He knows nothing different. Everyday he comes in and cries to me for a little bit about being hungry and then he goes on being his cheerful little self. I wish his parents knew him the way I know him. He tells me sweet stories when I have had a bad day and I end up laughing until I am hunched over. He sits with me when it is lunch time and recess. When he really needs to concentrate on his work he bites his top lip and always tells everyone to be quite as he tells his brain that it needs to work. His parents know nothing of his little quirks and it saddens me immensely.

Herber often reminds me of the 2,000 stripling warriors. He goes forward in faith, not knowing what will come to him at the end of the day. He just knows that he will be saved if he tries his hardest and puts all of his trust in God. In Alma 56, we discuss the relationship between Helaman and his men. Helaman is described as a father figure to the warriors. At times, I feel as if I am the mother figure in little Herber's life. I feed him when he is hungry, I quiet his fear, I wipe away the tears from his face, I hold his hand when he is nervous, I help him with his schoolwork, I watch after him, and I love him unconditionally. 

"I'm done with my snack Miss Mary. I love you more than all the stars in the sky!"

"I love you more than all of the people in this world! Now go sit with the other children and I'll come get you when it is your turn to practice sounds." What saves this little boy everyday, I don't know. I do have my assumption that it is his exquisite personality. His personality reminds me of the pink, puff balls that hang in the classroom. They are cheerful. They make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. There is so many levels to them and you can never find the core. Herber, my little pink puff ball.

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet story. There is a connection that we easily make with little children--they can easily change our emotions. You made a great connection with the strippling warriors and little Herber. There was great desciprtion at the beginning and end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a touching account! You develop the personality of Herber well, and I can really feel your love for him. The connection to the stripling warriors is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your post. I liked your connections with the scripture you had used. You tied everything together so well. Your story you had told was very sweet and something that can relate with others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this post! I think that your characterization of Herber is perfect, I really feel that I know him and that you love him. I really like the comparison to the stripling warriors. I would just work to explain who they are and who Helaman is to them a little more to make it clearer to non-members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm really impressed by this essay. You definitely know how to capture the attention of the reader, and your explanation of the classroom and the quirks of Herber are awesome. Great job implementing the book of mormon in a non-pushy way, and but agree with Savannah that they might need a bit more introduction to understand the real connection.

    ReplyDelete