Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Sharing a Cultural Experience

I was able to share my personal essay with my roommates.  I have lived with them for 4 years now and they know what comes with preparing for luau.  When I was able to connect that back to my grandparents as well at an experience from the Book of Mormon they really enjoyed it.  They were also able to think of their own experiences with their grandparents.  We spent the next 20 to 30 minutes talking about different experiences we all had with our grandparents.  It was really neat to have that experience with them.

Some advice they gave me was to be consistent with relating the Book of Mormon experience throughout my whole personal essay not just at the beginning or at the end.  But not to be too pushy about it but making small remarks to it.  Ironic enough, I'm performing in BYU Luau tonight and tomorrow night at 7pm in the Wilkinson Ballroom.  There everyone who dances is participating in my cultural experience and having one of their own.

1 comment:

  1. I think the critique to relate the Book of Mormon to the entire personal essay is a common flaw in most of our papers! I think I'll steal that advice for myself... muah-hahaa.

    ReplyDelete