Sunday, December 7, 2014

Informing the Public

My plan to share my personal essay about my mom's closet habit will be a little difficult.  I don't necessarily want to share something my mom doesn't want shared.  So... I need to be very careful and calculating in how I share it.  I want to share it with:

1. My Uncle Alex.  He left the church 50 years ago when he was offended.  I think he feels like Mormons put on this "perfection" show and he just isn't ready to commit to that.  I am going to email it to him and ask him about how it relates to my mother.  I have been trying to get him to read the Book of Mormon for a long time and I know that if he does he will gain a stronger testimony and maybe the strength to come back.

2. My Aunt Connie.  She is my Uncle Alex's wife and said she reads the Book of Mormon on occasion.  I want her to be able to read the Book of Mormon everyday and to feel the power of the gospel.  I know that they are on the cusp of coming back, it is just going to take all of our efforts and small but consistent efforts to get her back.  I am going to email it to her or go to visit her and see what she thinks.
People Talking
3. Polly.  She is a girl I taught on my mission who almost got baptized.  She had strong family opposition to getting baptized and is still clinging to the church in all ways that she can.  I want her to know that members of the church are real people and that they can have strong values but strong personalities.  I am hoping that it will encourage her to keep pursuing the gospel and eventually joining the church. I will send her a link to my blog post.

4.  My cousin Winston.  He grew up not very religious at all.  From his point of view, Mormons are too goody-goody and have to follow a weird mold.  I want him to realize that we have personalities and that my mom has a fun side.  He comes down to Arizona to see his girlfriend and I think knowing my mom has a spunky side will make him want to come and visit more.  I am going to post the link to my facebook, tag him in it and say "Did you know your aunt was a closet nintendoer?"

2 comments:

  1. I like putting the interest into your cousin Winston. I think that it is a great way to get him to read it. It would be funny to read about my aunt doing that!
    I hope all goes well with your uncle. Maybe this essay could help soften his heart, or just make him laugh. Either way, I think he will feel something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the idea of sharing your personal essay with a recent convert. Like you said, it can give perspective that there are other church members who go through struggles and trials just like them, and encourage them to keep pushing forward.

    ReplyDelete