Saturday, October 18, 2014

Reflections of Summers in Idaho

Physical Experience

(Grandma’s Farm near Ashton, Idaho)
-The smell of rain falling on a dirt driveway
-Willow branches rustling in the wind with light sound from a wind chime
-The red transparent hummingbird feeder hanging from the disfigured willow that hung over the front yard
-The sour/bitter taste of the wild “peas” that lined the garage wall
-The smell of the Car AC that’s not quite cool enough, coupled with the smell of the sweaty sock and red vines
-the smell of Shotgun cartridges that cluttered fluffy/sandy dirt driveway
-The sight of the Teton Mountains on a late summer afternoon. The clouds scattered in the sky, allowing light to push through and bring out majestic shapes and textures of the clouds.
-The rolling and curving road, the sharp gravel and the hot sands of the dunes
-the squeaking of the cattle ramp leading up towards the front door.
-(The House) the musty smell of the potato seller, the scratchy green couch, the ice cold well water that poured authentically from the faucet like a hose or stream.
-The sand creek bed on my feet, the green algae and volcanic rock that cluttered the creek bed.
-The taste of Grandma's mac’n Cheese with extra pepper. ‘Hot cakes’ that were cooked in bacon grease that left a delicious almost crunch. Hot maple syrup was pored over the pancakes that needed no butter.



Scenes

My cousin Kody and I sat on the hard multicolored rug of the dusty farm house floor. We sat playing with the small plastic fences, bulls, and cows that came with some sort of farming toy set. Grandpa came in, and stood in the doorway. With a sad complex but minimal visible emotion, he mentions in some form that Grandma Bowman (my great grandma and his mother) was dead. He walks onward towards the kitchen away from view. The innocence of childhood toys with my cousin seemed to disappear. Mom cried in a way I have never seen. She cried loudly and painfully, making me confused and feeling awkward. I did not know my Great Grandmother well. Showing emotion to that magnitude was a confusing thing for me that I tried to avoid. Feelings I didn’t understand were pushed to the side, the adventure of grandma’s farm with the sand creek, splintery old barn, half standing coral, rolling sand dunes, and the distant tree line caught my intrigue. The Tetons stood just outside the door across from the expansive fields of hay and potato. Though more than 40 miles away, they seemed just a few miles. Kody joined me in my love for adventure. With birthday’s just days apart, we shared the same gifts. Matching boomerangs, matching slingshots, matching red old navy ‘lifeguard’ tank tops.

Speech

Grandma and Grandpa spoke with a snip and a snap like language. Never much to say. Never the rambling type, but each word with strength and directness. After a few short weeks at grandmas, it was time to make the long road trip home to Chicago. With just my family and Grandma, she offered a kneeling prayer as we went our way. She studded over her few words and held in emotions as much as she could. It was the only time I saw emotion from Grandma May. She wept. Being young I wondered why. I knew we would be leaving, only to return in one years’ time. Grandpa was quick to cuss at us cousins in a snippy but rough way. I was not accustomed to that kind of voice in Chicago from my dad, but I enjoyed the authentic roughness that I thought should accompany his old rancher figure. My uncles were similar but more load, vulgar, and forward. With every word came a pinch or punch. They spoke in a way that made me want to seek their approval but I never thought badly of them despite possible mistreatment.

Emotion in the Moment

Grandma’s house brought the emotion of freedom and adventure trickled with subconscious feelings of appreciation and love for family. With growing up in a suburb of Chicago Illinois, I felt that my Idaho heritage separated me from my acquaintances and friends back at home. I felt pride for my mountain west heritage and missed the raw west atmosphere that did not exist in suburban Chicago. My large extended family was there and their raw authentic nature made me proud of them. They seemed tougher than everyone I knew back at home.

People of Consequence

Grandma May- Grandma was the quiet and authoritative power in the house. She seemed to always be behind the kitchen counter preparing something for the grandkids to eat. Smiles did not come easy on her face but there wasn’t much doubt that she would meet my requests of food.  

Grandpa Lynn- A quite man that sat in his chair, read books, and on request, would play his century old guitar or banjo. He would sing and yodel to old cowboy tunes and yodeled. He is missing half of his thumb from a chainsaw accident he had in the woods when he was a young father. Thick Hands. Missing teeth. Thick build with a large belly.

Kody- was living and grew up around Las Vegas. He shared my passion for the Farm. He would endorse of adventures and we would rant about adventures we could have encountering Indians, wild animals, dark forests, dunes, and mountains.

Trudy- My mother. This was her home. She grew up in Ashton Idaho and I saw her personality change as she returned. I could see she acted different there. She talked more openly than she did with those in Chicago. 




3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the idea of your adventures on the farm, because that's how every Thanksgiving and Easter of my life was spent. I would like to hear some cool stories, or maybe a time you accidentally turned on a machine, and someone had to come save you. Or the history of the farm.
    I also liked your descriptions of the food and the smells. That really helped me imagine it more than if you had just described what it looked like. That was really interesting to me, and it seemed like you really appreciated those times spent away from Chicago and on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the idea of your adventures on the farm, because that's how every Thanksgiving and Easter of my life was spent. I would like to hear some cool stories, or maybe a time you accidentally turned on a machine, and someone had to come save you. Or the history of the farm.
    I also liked your descriptions of the food and the smells. That really helped me imagine it more than if you had just described what it looked like. That was really interesting to me, and it seemed like you really appreciated those times spent away from Chicago and on the farm.

    (This is my second time posting this comment. The first one said it was published, but as soon as I went back to make sure it recorded it, it didn't. So I hope this one shows up, and I'm sorry if there ends up being two of the same comments.)

    ReplyDelete