Friday, October 17, 2014

When Life Gives You Lemons, Throw them at People Cause Life is Hard

Physical Experience

  • The smell of toast burning.
  • Sound of the microwave on and it turning the pancakes around and around on the squeaky glass wheel.
  • The taste of sleep still in my mouth.
  • The feeling of yearning to go crawl back in my warm bed and forget about today and tomorrow and the next day after that.
  • Wet, warm tears rolling down my face.
  • My own voice resegnating throughout the house as I call for my little brother to get out of bed and get ready for this dreadful day.
  • The wind and rain battling each other outside.
  • The sound of my little brother telling me he is not getting out of bed and to leave him there for the rest of the day.
  • Hearing his door creak open.
  • His warm embrace that makes me happier than words could explain.
Scenes
  • The yellow paint on the walls is the same color as our gorgeous canary, Iko, and it also sings to you as you work in the kitchen.
  • The top of the counters are a granite that contrast gorgeously with the white cabinets that are so shiny that if you stand still enough, you can see your own reflection which makes me want to sing the song from Mulan somedays.
  • There are 16 stairs that wind up to the second floor. I count them every time I go up and down the stairs. The carpet is black with a design on it that is gold . The designs almost look like a triangle when you are far away, but open flow encounter you realize that they are a bunch of little flowers put together intricately by the designer. 
Speech
  • The rush in my tone is not normal. I'm usually very calm and take things as they come with faith. I yell to my little brother to get up. I never yell. This is so odd for me. I have only yelled maybe one other time in my life and that was at my elementary school who made fun of me.
  • My brothers tone is solemn. He is sad and it is understandable why he is so sad. My tone should be more compassionate, but we are going to be late and I was given strict instructions that we are not allowed to be late anymore from both of our school principals and I am not going back in that office again.
  • My tone becomes more compassionate when I realize how hard of a day this is for my brother. I soothe him with my words and take him back to his bedroom so he can sleep in for the day. Who cares what the principal thinks anymore.
Emotion in the Moment
  • The tears on my cheek keep flowing. I've always been bad at portraying my emotions but this time it is a piece of cake. The hard part is that there is not a single word to explain all of the emotions that I am feeling at this time. I'm sad, lonely, desperate for interaction with my parents, intimidated, scared, hopeless, and just need to feel the love of my family and my Heavenly Father.
  • Although I am not sure what my brother is feeling I know that his feelings are probably very close to my feelings.
People of Consequence
  • My little brother, Peter, who was just 12 at the time. It is his first year at the local middle school and he loves his friend group, his teachers, the curriculum, and our ward at the time. He is full of energy all the time. There is not a day that goes by where he is not telling me everything about every little detail that happened in his life and I love that he is pays close attention to detail.
  • I am 16. I am a sophomore at the local high school and hate school like usual teenagers do. If I have a scratchy throat in the morning I complain until my mom doesn't make me go to school. Seminary is early in the morning and I am NOT a morning person so I am unhappy about 95% of the time. Everyday after school I come home and take a nap and then work on homework until two or three in the morning. I wake up everyday at five in the morning and it is an endless repeat.

3 comments:

  1. I am very intrigued by the story. Why is the day so hard? You use great imagery--especially towards the beginning of the post (the carpet, the taste, etc.) I definitely want to know more about that day. Also your title is clever. My sister uses a similar saying, "when life gives you lemon, use them to squirt lemon juice in the eyes of your enemies". Haha, this and yours make me laugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading through your process. It left me wanting to know more about what it was such a sad and somber day for you. It made me feel sympathetic towards you and whatever you were going through that day. I look forward to reading more if you do decide to focus on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your imagery is fantastic, to the point that I could be in your shoes. It made me feel like I had a day like that at some point. Something similar- probably not the same but this is one where people can emotionally connect with you

    ReplyDelete