Friday, October 24, 2014

Doubt Not, Fear Not

Wrestling the Future

I lie awake in my bed wrestling within my own thoughts about the future direction I must go. My current responsibility is to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to those whom I have been called to serve. But what about that day when I wake up and am forbidden to put the tag on again? I need a plan, I must be prepared. So there I lay, pondering anxiously about which runway that will give my life flight.
Do I return to the school that had given me so much confidence in myself. Providing personal opportunities that never would have been imagined at another institution. Or do I take into consideration that with the age change of missionaries perhaps the other school has less attendance allowing a greater opportunity to get accepted. What about my friends at my first school who I have known since young ages. I need them still don’t I? Their support is more then they will even know. To transfer schools is more than just an educational adjustment. Its life changing in every sense.

The struggle is real, reasons to stay are valid, the reasons to transfer are worthy. My heart is torn between the future opportunities at the new school are there, the safe and known opportunities at the first school are there and will be there should I choose to return. As I fought back and forth that particular night, the answer came soft and quickly. I was to at the very least apply to the new school and the feeling was clear that I would be accepted. 

I was honestly appalled. I didn’t really want that answer. For the last 16 months of my life I had been teaching exhorting and inviting people to follow the promptings of the spirit. Now it was time to live what I was teaching. Act upon the impression and walk with faith. The inner struggle almost instantly ceased to be a worthy struggle if I would only trust the spirit. It still requires faith, but its easier to set aside the “what ifs” and just move forward with faith. 

Doubt Not, Fear Not

High School can try a young wavering heart. Its a time when youth are either grasped tightly to the teaching of the Gospel or holding on loosely to the coat tails of a peer. They may come to seminary just so mom and dad will hand them the keys, they will come so that they can enjoy their friday night. Occasionally the lesson may prick their heart, but they will fight it and sit there forcing themselves to fight the spirit and what its teaching them. 
It was a privilege to be on the council that would be responsible to find a scripture that would be used as our year theme. Something that would help students feel the love of their Father in heaven and his confidence in them. Prayerfully we as a council came to the conclusion of Doctrine and Covenants 6:36 “Look unto me in every thought; doubt not fear not.” 

It was our hope that this scripture could help those that were only there come to a greater knowledge of God. That it would help those students that already were engaged find faith and hope in the things they still doubted. This verse did just that. Little did we know the role it would play for those in the council. One lost his brother and the other her mother during our senior year. They were able to lead by living this verse and clinging to its doctrine. Other students admired that and together as seminary students we grew in our faith and trust of the Savior that year.


Wild Study

The clock almost seems to be screaming 8:00am. Its december and the heater is failing to do its job. My cold clammy hands are hurrying to handle the neck tie. My feet frantically search for my slippers and as i race down the stairs my hands steal the blanket from the bed. Once at my desk i fall to my knees. My mind is at home, back in high school, does that girl still care about me? Multiple off topic things dance across my minds stage. I try to gather my thoughts to my purpose in being on my knees. That is to find through all the heavy wave lengths going on my Heavenly Father. Asking him for help and guidance as I am about to embark yet again on  trek. 
Its a trek with an unkept trail, without a finish line, it could have many beautiful land marks to stop and enjoy or it could be a constant steady course. I conclude our conversation and take my seat at the desk. As I begin to open my Book of Mormon I feel the journey beginning. I don’t know where I will be taken. I read with spiritual eyes and a desire to learn and grow. 


This is my wilderness every day for 1 hour. Its me and God, our time to have an interview, for me to be taught by the master. Often times I am lost in the wilderness of scripture and pondering. I have found my sacred grove each time I kneel at that desk, that I open my scriptures and let God come to me and endow me with the power and knowledge I desperately need that day. 

3 comments:

  1. I love the style of writing in this post. To someone who is familiar with the LDS church it is something that I can clearly understand and relate to without further explanation. For those not of our faith, I don't think it will be as clear as to what you are talking about, but it would still read as meaningful, personal, and they would be able to find a connection in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree, I love the details and scenes you paint in your writing in all three of the prompts. I could see the emotional connection that happens in each situation that you describe in your writing. I also agree with Savannah that it might be a little hard for those not of our faith to understand and follow, but still possibly make connections with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I especially liked the part about seminary council and "doubt not, fear not!" ;) It's by far one of my favorite scriptures.

    ReplyDelete