Saturday, October 18, 2014

Linkin Park's Influence for Good in my Life

Physical Experience
Smell of certain foods reminds me of my home in Laurens, IA

Seeing light come into a room through the window in a certain way also reminds me of my home in Iowa

Thunderstorms remind me of being terrified when I was young in Iowa due to the possibility of tornadoes

Hearing certain songs that I only listened to once or rarely at certain times in my life reminds me specifically of those times in my life

Getting hit or injured quickly reminds me of previous times that I’ve been injured and had a similar experience or feeling, like when I was in football

Scenes
Thunderstorms – Vivid memories of thundering sound, rain hitting the windows, strong winds slamming the house and the trees, causing the trees to swing violently back and forth, foreboding yellowish sky indicating possible tornadoes, wet, muddy ground making it hard to play outside right after the storms, hail making it scary to walk outside, checking for damage on cars that were left outside, searching for toys that were accidentally left outside that might have been blown away in the fierce winds, mom asking me if I know what to do if there actually is a tornado heading for us, where to go for protection

Speech
I remember listening to many messages regarding political issues and hearing the emotion in the speeches, the way the words were presented really drew me in and helped me feel like what they were saying was one hundred percent true

I remember personal experience or testimony being given regarding controversial political issues, often the emotional tone was combined with powerful and/or dramatic words or dialogue that added strongly to the message

I remember the powerful pregame speeches given by football coaches to boost the morale of the players and to get us all pumped up to go play as hard as we could and to do our best

Emotion in the moment
I remember around my first semester of college that Linkin Park, my favorite band, came out with their album “A Thousand Suns” that had some powerful music that helped me get through everything.  That music at that time and still to this day brings out strong emotions.  For example, I remember feeling anger or aggression listening to some songs, but then with other songs emotions of calm and peace are brought out, with lyrics that explain letting it go and moving on.

People of Consequence

Thinking of Linkin Park again, I can remember watching videos on YouTube of Linkin Park performing live.  Those lyrics and the music that Linkin Park created and performed, especially combined with the emotion and in the way that they performed their music, make me think of them and their music often when I recall certain past experiences and times in my life.  Even though I don’t know any of them personally (I only know them from having watched their videos online), I often remember them and think of them as friends or teachers or leaders in my mind because of the things I’ve learned from listening to their music.

1 comment:

  1. "I remember feeling anger or aggression listening to some songs, but then with other songs emotions of calm and peace are brought out.." I think this is beautiful--this can be so relatable to so many readers. And by providing that common tie between reader and writer can make such a more meaningful essay.

    ReplyDelete