Sunday, October 19, 2014

Shouting through a Megaphone!

Physical experience:
Rain plunking down on top of the water. Small lake in middle of nowhere. Floating under a dock watching the patterns of rain across the lake. Gray-silver sky above, cabin off to one side. The water is warm and my head kept away from the pounding of the rain on top of the dock. Light winds roll around, pushing the dock to one side. Feeling safe, soaking it all in. The smell of fresh water in the air, birds and animals have left, the only noise is that made by the water against water. Me floating on my lake in the rain.


picture from: focusonmexico.com
Scenes: 

At work. Normal day. Talking with my coworkers; going about our jobs. Lady walks in and asks a questions. Then asks who was in charge. We were all on the same level. None above another. Then the moment of realization; everyone was looking at me. I was now the most experienced employee. Others looked to me to get questions answered. They looked to me as if I was one “in charge”. I knew the answer. I solved the problem. I was now in a new position; a new sense of leadership. Hadn’t asked for it… it had just happened that way. Without warning.

Speech:
She insisted that she bought me my favorite ice cream. I was oblivious. She wanted to go sit in that field near a tree. She spoke calmly. She spoke with resolve. She was about to speak a dagger straight to my heart. We sat and ate. Then, these words, “So let me tell you a story.” Something was up. Something was wrong. I could tell from those words alone. And then her words came faster and faster. She wanted to go on a mission. She wanted to go without any “ties”. And then that was it. We never saw each other again.

Emotion in the moment:
Every High School student was affected. The girl had been shot in the head by a gun the kids thought was not loaded. Those who knew her were heartbroken. Even those who didn’t know her were affected. The whole school was somber. The Symphonic Band was asked to play as tribute. Many students had come dressed in their Sunday best. I played the French Horn in the band. Each musician played their heart out. We played for her. Students surrounded the band in the large entryway. The air seemed think and tears streamed down faces. The power of music said what everyone was already feeling. And yet, it healed.

Picture from: firstamendmentcenter.org
People of consequence:

Chris is one of those people that inspires. He is selfless and looks for ways to serve in every day circumstances. He once gave me five dollars— for no reason! He told me to save it for a rainy day. Who does that? No one else I know. He’s the kind of guy that you could knock down and he’d just jump right back up smiling. He’s a role model. He’s a type of a Captain Moroni. Those guys you just look up to and aspire to be. People say that actions speak louder than words, but when you have both actions AND words, you are shouting through a megaphone. That’s Chris. Chris shouts through a megaphone.

3 comments:

  1. Just the few details you gave of your "Emotion in the moment". I am interested to know more of the details and back story. It appeals because it seems that so many were able to make a bond together. The other interesting one was your date experience. It appeals because many of us have been there in that discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to hear more about the girl getting shot. Was it a prank? Why was everyone involved? Witnessed? Was she popular? Could they relate to her? It would be powerful to "hear' your thoughts as you played. Where you were sitting or standing for that and what you could see as you were playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The emotion in the moment experience seems loaded with emotional tension- I would go with that one! Try and reveal less explicit detail and sort of imply a lot of the facts of the situation. The tone of the scene is very powerful already

    ReplyDelete