Friday, October 24, 2014

An Inspired Decision

Inner struggle

During a summer afternoon when I was sitting in an old brown couch, I felt overwhelmed due to many important decisions I had to make in such a crucial moment in my life. The brown couch was very comfortable; it had soft and fresh fabrics, which made it very appealing for people to sit there whenever they felt burdened. Once people had rest in this couch, it almost seemed that they have lightened their burdens by just sitting on it or perhaps falling sleep and forgetting about them. It came to pass that I had to choose which high school should I join, I had a couple of good options however, somehow I knew that this decision would affect the rest of my life in a positive or negative way. Being adolescent made the task even more complicated because of the proper ambiguous state in which childhood and adulthood are unclear or completely dependent on context.    
Many nebulous ideas crossed my mine when I proceed to exercise my faith coupled with my work by cutting small pieces of paper where I wrote all the options I had available. I vaguely remember some of them but one, the chosen one, Benemerito. One of the most special high schools that Mexico City had, I’m proud to say that I chose correctly and that I would totally do it over and over again. Even after my struggle that night, I found peace in my insights that comforted me just as the brown couch did many times.
However, this time was different my prayer opened the windows of heaven to me and I received the blessings described in the scriptures:
“I will…pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it” 

Scripture

Although I have had read the scriptures before, that day when I offered a sincere prayer to communicate with the Lord, I felt nothing but compelled to do right. After I read the testimony of Joseph Smith while he was reading the Epistle of James in the Bible: 

“If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him”

I also felt the force he described that penetrated his heart. Thus, I was motivated to ask for the wisdom I lacked in that moment of uncertainty. After, I received inspiration to know which school I should join; I understood the purpose behind my decision.
Soon after I started my senior year in high school, I met a man and I discovered what poets call love, an emotion that we cannot control, one that overwhelms logic and common sense. The love that changes your life forever, and no matter how hard you try, the feeling never goes away.  

Wilderness Quest


Finally, the life had taught me a lesson. Whenever I want to succeed in this life, I counsel with the Lord and ask for guidance, I’m sure he will always be available to answer my prayers. Nevertheless, in order to follow a counsel, one must develop trust. Building a relationship with the Lord prior to ask him for counsel will help me not just to trust on him but to accept his decision whatever this might be, which usually is the hardest part. Unless people have a desire to grow, to learn and to change, seek advice would be worthless. Therefore, my resolution is to be willing to grow, to learn, and to change to be humble enough and accept counsel from the Lord.       


2 comments:

  1. Your description of the brown couch in your first experience is really interesting- what made it play such a notable role in your important decision? Did it take on some sort of symbolism or a kind of sanctuary role?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this line about the proper ambiguous state of childhood- that's a great line that says a lot with the right amount of words.

    ReplyDelete