Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Elder Scott Uses a Change in Tone While Teaching of Faith

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints hold a general conference two times a year in which members are given the opportunity to hear from religious leaders. One of these leaders is Elder Richard G. Scott. I have always found great hidden messages in talks given by Elder Scott I decided to analyze his talk entitled Make the Exercise of Your Faith Your First Priority. This conference I was shocked to see Elder Scott deviate from his normal soft, understanding voice he uses while speaking publicly and put a little more aggression into his tone.

I compared this conference talk to the talk he gave last conference in April entitled I Have Given You an Example because although the loving quality of his message was the same, his tone of delivery was completely opposite. 

This conference report Elder Scott had a little bit more fire while he was speaking. As I listened to him, I felt like he was also saying "we have been over this multiple times so lets try to get it this go around". In all honesty I quite enjoyed the change of pace in his delivery and found much more drawn in to his message because he seemed to be speaking with much more vigor. He was straight forward with his message, giving 4 easy steps that we need to follow in order to make our mortal life easier to endure by helping us have a greater abundance of the spirit. This format made the talk very educational and easy to follow. This report had no stories of his personal life and made no mention of his wife Janeane which is worthy note because his wife died about 20 years ago and the last couple of conferences he has mentioned her and how much he loves and misses her.   

April 2014 conference he talked of examples in his life that helped him become who he is today. This message was very heart felt and endearing. His tone was soft and gentle as he reminisced of the sweet memories he had from his child hood. The tone in this talk was similar to past conferences where he seems to urge the audience gently along the correct path, giving quiet and subtle hints to help us along. He shared stories that helped us connect with him on a more personal level and allowed us to gain a little insight to his life. 

This change in tone and style that Elder Scott showed during this session was interesting to me because it is so different than what we are used to hearing but I really enjoyed it. Elder Scott is one of my favorite speakers and I enjoy every moment I am able to learn from him.





3 comments:

  1. I never have really connected well with Elder Scott''s tone or pace of his talks. However recently it has been his reputation that has allowed me to pay closer attention and respect more of his talks. First being that he is an extremely intelligent man, being a former physicist. I'm studying physics which hits home for me. Then I also recently hound out that Elder Scott loves to play jazz clarinet. You've got to be a boss to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it interesting how a little more urgent tone calls us to action more? A soft tone makes the audience think "Oh, we'll get to that soon enough." Well, it wasn't soon enough obviously. By using urgency and stating four simple points that we can easily follow day to day and hang up all over our house with sticky notes, we are able to find more importance, and do better at actually following through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last few talks from Elder Scott have been almost like eulogies for his deceased wife, and I can't help but think that this is because he misses her a great deal. So to hear him not mention her in this talk is certainly a change of pace. I don't know what may have caused the change in his tone this conference, but it's fascinating to look at the personal lives of General Authorities and consider how they might be affecting their conference addresses.

    ReplyDelete