Tuesday, October 28, 2014

12 Years Free from Crack Cocaine

“Is this Sunday the testimony day? I know ya’ll had stake meeting so it got moved around.” I looked at my companion, and he at me. We knew that Sister Simmons would only be coming to church if she could ‘testify’. But it took a second to work up the courage to mislead her: “I think it might be testimony day. Are you coming?” She looked suspicious. We weren’t sure if she knew that we knew her pattern of attendance. Then a thought came to her mind, and she said, “I can call one of the relief sisters. If I’m feeling well I will come either way. Of course, we have our weekly bible study next week, so don’t forget!”

Mormons are known for evangelizing, yet Sister Simmons was perhaps more evangelical than Mormon. We attended her weekly bible studies because she always brought her friends, and we wanted to share the gospel with them. It was, however, more common for Sista’ Simmons to share the Gospel than for us to get a chance to. These meetings included the occasional speaking in tongue, and holding hands while we prayed was expected. And then there was the picture of Jesus depicted as a black man on her wall. Of course none of these things are opposed to the core doctrines of the Gospel, but they were certainly foreign to me.
The picture that Sister Simmons had on her wall


The next week’s bible study was well attended. Of course, we read from the Bible and from ‘The Book of the Mormons”, as she liked to call it. This week was special, because it marked the 12th anniversary that she was free from crack cocaine. It was an exciting milestone for her, although I did wonder how 12 years had elapsed since 2002, as it was currently 2011. Sister Simmons had programs printed, and she allocated a brief time for the missionaries to ‘testify’. We tried to ask her to let us share a lesson with her friends, but to no avail. No matter though, we just taught a lesson in our testimonies.


Reflecting on my Bible studies with Sister Simmons, I think now of President Hinckley’s invitation to “bring with you all that you have of good and truth…and come and let us see if we may add to it.” Although perhaps unorthodox, her zeal was pure, and we taught more people because of Sista’ Simmons than anyone else.

7 comments:

  1. This is an interesting look into a character--and into your thoughts and perceptions surrounding her. It's amazing how the gospel can help people change for the better though. And it's great that she was such a force of good in bringing more people to hear the gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I served part of my mission in Georgia and there were definitely Sista Simmons there. One was Sister Reverend Julie Jones who would only come to priesthood meeting and insisted on anointing people with oil, speaking in tongues and rebuking devils. She didn't have a black Jesus though. That is a new one from me. I learned that there are spiritual people in the south and cultural people in the south and sometimes those try to mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guessed it-I served in the Tallahassee mission which includes parts of Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. Sista' Simmons was one of many evangelical mormons (or mormon evangelicals?).

      Delete
  3. Having served in Africa, I've seen plenty of Black Jesus haha. But its always interesting to meet and see those overly zealous religious people who have very interesting beliefs and habits. And how these people actually lead to other prepared people in our missionary efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing to see how many people from other faiths can connect with somewhat uncommon personalities and stories in the church. I think the I'm a Mormon campaign is evidence of that, as the majority of people highlighted are usually not the average or stereotypical Mormon but instead someone more quirky or unique than the norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I saw this the other day, and thought it was interesting. http://tinyurl.com/na2cq7a There are many people of different backgrounds in the church, and I think that we are starting to reach the point where people see it more and more.

      Delete