Friday, October 17, 2014

That pivotal morning

  1. Physical experience
  • i leaned in with force as i shut the remaining inches of my red suitcase
  • i stood back, awing at the production of fitting the next 18 months of my life into two red suitcases. 
  • my feet were numb against the rough carpet
  • i stared at my reflection in the mirror--it was the last moment in that I would be Emily, before I became known as Hermana Lewis
  1. Scenes
  • the bustling airport with citizen shoulder to shoulder with luggage
  • the kitchen, with its sparkling white counter tops, and red bench on the wall
  • the quiet ride to the airport in the dawn of the morning, my breath fogging the window pane 
  • the on stares of passengers and citizens as my mother and i embraced not holding back the tears
  1. Speech
  • the security guards straight unchanging voice 
  • the tears that ran down my mothers face spoke louder than her words
  • less words were said and more hugs were given as an undeniable lump sat at the top of my throat
  • i quietly and quickely wishpered "i love you," before i took my place in the long security line. 
  1. Emotion in the moment
  • my heart was pounding louder than my voice. 
  • how many hugs could i give my parents before i'd have to say that final goodbye
  • how many times could i look back and see that waving hand of my fathers
  • it was too late to turn back, did i really know what i was doing?
  1. People of consequence
  • my parents
  • my MTC companion
  • the lady i sat next to on the plane--who lived in SLC
  • Becca, holding her white piece of paper with my name written across it. 

2 comments:

  1. "i stood back, awing at the production of fitting the next 18 months of my life into two red suitcases."

    I think that this comment would be the most intriguing for someone to hear about. This is the part that would explain the whole story, and all of the other things you included could be parts of the story to explain and develop this main point or idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this! I was going to talk about when I got home from my mission. I love this part, "the tears that ran down my mothers face spoke louder than her words" because everybody has experienced something like that with either a mother, father, grandparent, etc.

    ReplyDelete