Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Three Nephites; Still Here Today!

Section: 3 Nephi 26 – 4 Nephi

3 Nephi 26:1-2 – (sermon) Jesus speaks to the Nephites, teaching and giving new scripture
3 Nephi 27:2-9 – (dialogue) Christ speaks with the Apostles about the name of the church
3 Nephi 27:13-27 – (sermon) Christ speaks to the multitude, teaching the gospel and giving commandments to write down what they see and hear
3 Nephi 28:1-12 – (dialogue) Christ speaks to the Apostles and grants them what they desire

Jesus speaks with "the Three Nephites" (Photo from: mormonthink.com)
Section Analyzed: 3 Nephi 28:1-12
"1 And it came to pass when Jesus had said these words, he spake unto his disciples, one by one, saying unto them: What is it that ye desire of me, after that I am gone to the Father?
2 And they all spake, save it were three, saying: We desire that after we have lived unto the age of man, that our ministry, wherein thou hast called us, may have an end, that we may speedily come unto thee in thy kingdom.
3 And he said unto them: Blessed are ye because ye desired this thing of me; therefore, after that ye are seventy and two years old ye shall come unto me in my kingdom; and with me ye shall find rest.
4 And when he had spoken unto them, he turned himself unto the three, and said unto them: What will ye that I should do unto you, when I am gone unto the Father?
5 And they sorrowed in their hearts, for they durst not speak unto him the thing which they desired.
6 And he said unto them: Behold, I know your thoughts, and ye have desired the thing which John, my beloved, who was with me in my ministry, before that I was lifted up by the Jews, desired of me.
7 Therefore, more blessed are ye, for ye shall never taste of death; but ye shall live to behold all the doings of the Father unto the children of men, even until all things shall be fulfilled according to the will of the Father, when I shall come in my glory with the powers of heaven.
8 And ye shall never endure the pains of death; but when I shall come in my glory ye shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye from mortality to immortality; and then shall ye be blessed in the kingdom of my Father.
9 And again, ye shall not have pain while ye shall dwell in the flesh, neither sorrow save it be for the sins of the world; and all this will I do because of the thing which ye have desired of me, for ye have desired that ye might bring the souls of men unto me, while the world shall stand.
10 And for this cause ye shall have fulness of joy; and ye shall sit down in the kingdom of my Father; yea, your joy shall be full, even as the Father hath given me fulness of joy; and ye shall be even as I am, and I am even as the Father; and the Father and I are one;
11 And the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and the Father giveth the Holy Ghost unto the children of men, because of me.”

This section can be considered DIALOGUE between the new Apostles and Jesus Christ. When the three Apostles desired to live forever in verse 6, Christ speaks of John and how this is the same thing that John the Beloved had asked of him. This is an example of allusion; Christ referring to John, an apostle in the Old World could be considered an allusion to the New Testament. It is interesting to note that the Nephites, of course, did not have the Bible and therefore Christ briefly explains that John was with him in his early ministry.


There is also a rhetorical appeal of pathos throughout this passage. For example, in verse 5, you sympathize with the Apostles as they are afraid to ask Jesus what they wish for. The word choice, “sorrow in their hearts” is especially poignant in depicting the deep fear and humility the Apostles had in their desire to ask Christ for what they truly wanted.

Imagery is also employed by Christ in this section, particularly in verse 10. Here Christ depicts what the reward will be for the Apostles desiring to preach the gospel until the end of mortality on earth. He describes FULNESS of joy and of SITTING down in the kingdom with the Father. Fulness gives the impression of happiness unmeasured; a full cup with no more room for more. The imagery of sitting with the Father may represent to the reader eternal rest from the cares and stresses that are experienced in mortal life.

These rhetorical elements combine to give a brief but deep insight into the events and dialogue between Christ and the new Nephite Apostles.
Google "three nephite sightings"...you won't regret it. (image from: salamandersociety.com)

3 comments:

  1. It was interesting to me that Jesus spoke "one by one" to them, and he established a relationship with them. He connected with His audience personally, and He was willing to grant their wishes. (ethos and pathos)
    I love His plainness and word choice He uses as well. He provides hope and love in His tone and in His words.
    I agree with you in the imagery, especially "in the twinkling of an eye" part, discussing their change. It is easy to picture and realize how fast that really is. And it's something that can still be understood today, unlike the whole currency part, which isn't easily understood with today's currency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice use of allusion, pathos, and imagery. I also find it interesting how the savior decided to speak with them one by one. There is a lot of meaning and symbolism behind that statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christ also echoes the beatitudes of chapter 12 in saying "blessed are ye" to his disciples. He then goes on apply imagery of inheriting the kingdom of God specifically to them, in a way that highlights the general blessing for the meek and poor in heart in a more personal way

    ReplyDelete