Wednesday, October 1, 2014

"Oh good"

If I was asked to give one word describing Elder Holland it would easily be, blunt. No sugar frosting, no cherry on top, not the slightest been of gooey, cheesy, fluff that we so often want to hear in talks. He says it plain and simple. Because of that he is easily one of the most popular speakers in the Mormon world.

Marion G Romney said “I always know when I am speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost because I always learn something from what I've said" This is something I believe Elder Holland would agree with. He starts out simply, asking the audience to be respectful, something not often said across the pulpit. By doing this he is setting a serious tone and establishing his Ethos for the whole rest of the meeting, not just his talk. He then continues to a topic that we all know to be a serious one, reinforcing the tone he previously set.

Elder Holland mainly uses Logos throughout this entire talk, speaking of doctrine, telling stories and research studies all about the seriousness of human intimacy. But he doesn't only use logos. At one specific point he really hit me hard, pulling out the Pathos in his argument. He is talking about the seriousness of purity and how it is the worst sin other than murder. He then compares sexual transgression to the taking of a life and how in control we all are when it comes to taking care of other people's lives. We don't walk up to someone and put a gun to their head and pull the trigger hoping the gun won't go off and think;
"Oh good, I didn't go all the way"
To me, this is the point where his Ethos is the strongest. This, I believe, would be one of those "inspired one liners" that Neal A. Maxwell was talking about.

Through his use of Ethos, Pathos, and Logos Elder Holland is one of the most straight forward and powerful speakers out there, and that is definitely an example of that.

3 comments:

  1. I found it interesting that you drew the conclusion that Elder Holland is one of the most popular LDS speakers because he speaks simply. When I think of Elder Holland I mostly remember that he invites the Spirit very strongly. It's nice to use rhetoric to think about why he's able to do that, and how those inspired one liners make his addresses so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I focused on this too. I like the story that he uses about throwing the bread, water and tablecloth off during the sacrament. The logos is very strong through his talk. He always has good pathos, connecting with the audience no matter what topic or speech he is giving. He is widely remembered because of his boldness, and his emotional impact on us - the audience - leaving a life changing feeling behind after his talk is over. I really enjoy Elder Holland's talks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right about the fact that Elder Holland uses logos. That is something that has always impressed me about him. He does the research and homework necessary to get his point across.

    ReplyDelete