Monday, February 16, 2015

Friends of Friends

When I first heard about this assignment I knew it was going to be hard for me. I'm not an overly social person and talking to strangers is way outside my comfort zone. So I asked Megan, a friend from high school who also happens to be in this class, if she would help me find someone to give me more feedback on my previous post, "Being an Aunt." Megan asked her roommate and this is the response I received:
As far as writing style goes the beginning was a little confusing, had a few too many details and "hers/shes". That said, I loved the post! Being an aunt is truly wonderful. I have to keep fighting the irresistible urge to steal away the newest toddlers in the family. Also, being the youngest, I never grew up with children around and so when I get to see my nephews and nieces I'm pretty sure I spend 90% of the vacation fawning over them. They're so precious and adorable. Great post and cute picture. :)
I definitely agree with what she says about the beginning being confusing. It doesn't connect with the overall topic of the post and was included simply because, for this assignment, I was writing a journal entry. I need to find a better way to begin this post, something like a story about when my nephew was born or an experience I've had since becoming an aunt.

I also really enjoyed reading about Megan's roommate's experience with being an aunt herself. I totally relate to the desire to steal the toddlers away and I spend most of my time at home playing with my nephew as opposed to visiting with family.

I liked connecting with someone about something we both could relate to, being an aunt, and I liked learning more about someone else's experience in that regard.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great experience! I agree that sharing with those we don't know can be intimidating but it seems to always produce great and unbiased feedback. I shared mine with someone who I don't have a lot in common with yet we connected through this experience. I think it's cool that you and this girl had similar experiences! Writing is such a great way to connect with people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had similar feelings going into this experience, but it seems like your writing hit its target audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had similar feelings going into this experience, but it seems like your writing hit its target audience.

    ReplyDelete