Sunday, February 22, 2015

Blogging Outside Myself

For this assignment I decided to try something I rarely do. I decided to read the blog posts of my friends and acquaitances that they share on Facebook. When glancing through my Facebook feed I don't typically have time to stop and read the blog posts shared by others. It's not that I'm not interested in their lives, it's just that typically when I get on Facebook it's to quickly check out the ward Facebook page and glance through my news feed to see if anything big or exciting has happened. Today I glanced through my news feed with the intent to read the blog posts, specifically the posts of people I know well enough to be friends with on Facebook, but not well enough to be close to them in real life.
The blog that I ended up focusing on was written by a new co-worker who I've only known for about two months. Her blog (www.bethanyjoybrown.blogspot.com) focuses on self-perception, body image, and being confident in yourself. I read a few of her posts and I loved the insights she had to share. She also brought in outside sources, such as Instagram, quotes, and other blogs, to add to her message. I glanced through some of these as well, commenting on the things that stood out to me.
Through this process I learned a few things:

  1. I really need to take the time to read blog posts shared on Facebook. I really enjoyed what I read and I loved getting to know this co-worker better.
  2. In reading these blog posts I was able to connect with another person in a new way. We possess shared experiences that I was only able to learn about through this co-worker's willingness to share her thoughts and my willingness to read.
  3. There are a wide variety of resources and multiple ways to connect with other people on topics you may struggle with if you're willing to take the time to look.

I really enjoyed reading these blog posts and I plan on continuing to take time to read the posts shared by others and to participate in the community of writers found on blogs.

1 comment:

  1. I looked at Beth's blog too! She's great. I like how you summed up what you learned in three bullet points. I feel the same way--I should take more time to see what my friends are writing.

    ReplyDelete