Tuesday, September 23, 2014

that little white cassette

I slam the side of the car stereo as the humming suddenly skips and stop. Since it was such a usual occurrence, it knew my familiar touch. I slam twice, and third time. And the hum begins again.

The walls of my 1997 Mazda at 6:30 in the morning became a sanctuary for me.
It was there, in that tiny space that sparked the beginning of my solid testimony.

I was rummaging around the house for something that would entertain my mind, and more than anything keep me awake, as I made the drive to early morning seminary. In a dusty box, I found a white cassette tape with the word: “Sheri Dew” written on it. I was curious. So the next morning, I popped it in, listened, pondered, then rewound and listened again, and I did that every day for the next month. Yes, I had her talk memorized. I was mesmerized by her words, her examples, her devotion, and her zeal. She was who I wanted to be. She doesn’t even know who I am, yet she impacted me so much.


I gleaned from her words, they became a part of who I was, because they shaped the decisions I made.

To this day, I remember that feeling, that burning where what I heard was penetrating in my heart that this is true.


The spoken word can do so much. It can be a medium for the Holy Ghost to testify to us that this is true. And that is what it has done for me.  

2 comments:

  1. Great imagery! I just watched this as a mini-movie in my head. I think Sheri Dew would be ecstatic to know the change that her tape has brought to your life. I too am very curious. What was it about her talk that had you so captivated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your post and the way it was delivered in. It is amazing how the use of appropriate techniques such as (ethos), allows you to identify a character because of the way they talk.

    ReplyDelete