Friday, September 26, 2014

Love of God


1. Form Analyzed
I analyzed a metaphor and reference used in my section of The Book of Mormon: A Reader’s Edition.

2. Passage Analyzed
I analyzed 1 Nephi 21:14 which was within my section, 1 Nephi 16-22.

But, behold, Zion hath said: The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me—but he will show that he hath not. For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

4. Breakdown
Nephi quotes Isaiah’s words in this section with Isaiah's signature of metaphors and references.

5. Interpretation
Isaiah compares the woman and her child to God and the House of Israel. Isaiah, speaking for God says that He remembers all his children. He shows that the love of a mother is nothing compared to the love that God has for His children.  When it says “graven thee upon the palms of my hands” it is a reference to the crucifixion. As He died, he literally took upon himself our pains and sins. The word “graven” is very permanent just like the work that Christ did for us.

6. Connections/Questions
In this part of the scriptures I feel like God can get frustrated with the House of Israel for their stubbornness. How often do we need reminding that we are important to Him. In general conferences, rarely did we hear anything shocking but I think that may be changing now as we are being called to be better. The use of the metaphors and references in this passage helps us understand that God will never forget us. Eliza questioned whether the metaphors in her passage were meant to instruct future readers. Similarly, I question if the metaphors can bring us to a deeper understanding of the doctrine.  

2 comments:

  1. Metaphors really do bring a great depth and appreciation for what the author is trying to be taught. I relate better to my mother caring for me, that when I compare that to the relationship I have with my Heavenly Father and Savior it becomes more intimate for me. And especially when you get bored in your mind reading the often confusing words of Isaiah. Breaking down the metaphors helps me relate to his message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that I have felt meaningful connections with doctrine when scriptural writer's employ simple and beautiful metaphors. Metaphors are especially powerful--and relatable--when they incorporate the strong bonds of familial relationships. Those that have experienced the great power of a mother's love, are better able to understand the love of God.

    ReplyDelete