Wednesday, September 24, 2014

What Started My Faith



Probably the most memorable experiences I’ve had relating to a church talk have been when my own father has given his talks, specifically when he has included his personal stories that have contributed to his testimony.

My dad actually gave many of the same stories from his life multiple times, so I guess it wasn’t just one experience.  Because of this, I’ll try to focus on one of the stories that he gave many times that really affected me.
My dad told the story of how, when he was young, he had a cousin (not sure if it was a cousin actually, but I’ll go with it) who had a disability.  I don’t remember the exact disability, but I think it was a limp or something like that.  My dad related how he, as well as other kids in the school, made fun of my dad’s cousin because of his disability.  I can remember how my dad would always get so emotional relating this story, and if I remember correctly he would usually start tearing up right about at this part.  The emotion my dad would show really helped me to know that he was sincere, and that he truly believed in the principle that he was sharing.

My dad would always conclude sharing how, as he was traveling home, he noticed someone walking by the side of the road.  It was my dad’s cousin who my dad and my dad’s friends had made fun of.  By the way, this was after a party if I remember right.  Anyway, my dad stopped to give his cousin a ride, and he noticed that his cousin was crying.  My dad talked to his cousin and apologized for making fun of him while he drove him home.  My dad would then relate how he learned from this experience the importance of the scripture that states that God looks at the heart and not at the outward appearance.


My dad’s overall delivery was always so heartfelt.  I can still remember how my dad would look at the pulpit while sharing this experience.  I can also remember his sincerity, usually evident because of his crying and body language.  All of this contributed to his ability to successfully engage and convince the audience of the truthfulness of what he was saying.

1 comment:

  1. The emotional appeal can really be what people remember. I hear stories of investigators of our faith say that they don't remember what they were taught, but how they felt. Isn't that how the Holy Ghost works best? The "burning of the bosom"? Yes, there are thoughts, but people usually second guess if the thoughts were really from the Holy Ghost. Emotions are undeniable. That's what humans can relate to and remember easier.

    ReplyDelete