Friday, September 19, 2014

Higher Education

What do most people think of when they hear people discussing the matter of higher education?  Likely college, undergraduate and graduate studies, and possibly PhD or Masters’ programs.  However, when Orson Whitney referenced Doctrine and Covenants 88:118 in his speech Home Literature, I automatically thought of the divine higher education that is taught in the House of the Lord and through other means.  What do temporal and spiritual learning have in common, and how can we use one to aid the other?

Nephi Anderson’s novel Added Upon discusses the knowledge we gained while still living in the premortal life.  The narrator talked about how the experiences we had in heaven were “wholly within the compass of spiritual life” and how we must “become acquainted with the existence of properties, laws, and organization of matter” other than those we knew as spiritual beings.  This concept made me think about what I need to be learning of temporal importance while on this earth, and how I can use my spiritual knowledge to further advance my education.

After pondering this topic for some time, I came to the conclusion that my desire is to obey God’s every command, which specifically includes D&C 88:118.  Through Joseph Smith, God instructed us to “Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.”  Through obeying this commandment, we can fulfil the mission which we were sent here to complete.  Whitney defines it as such, “to draw all men unto Christ by means of knowledge, wisdom and learning revealed from heaven and recorded in the best of books.”


Through these teachings, I know we can fulfil this mission and obey God’s commandments to educate ourselves and those around us in the temporal and spiritual things of the world, as taught in Nephi Andersons’s Added Upon and Orson Whitney’s Home Literature.

2 comments:

  1. This is very true and the reason why I decided to gain an education. In the end, the only thing we can take with us is what is in our head. Education and experience will help further our progression in the next life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Learning has always been, and will always be a very important role in my life. I guess you could say it's my life's theme. I have always seen a very large correlation between my temporal and spiritual learning, because all things were created spiritually first. All truth follows the laws of heaven. This reminds me of President Worthen's inauguration speech where he said climbing or going to the mountain would be challenging, but exhilarating, elevating and ethereal. All good things, all learning, all growth is ethereal. It is spiritual and brings us more understanding of our Heavenly Father and what He's done for us.

    ReplyDelete