Friday, September 26, 2014

Sherem: The Anti-Christ

1. Form Analyzed:
I am looking into the speakers in Jacob 7.

2. Passage Analyzed:
My assigned section was Jacob 5 through the Book of Omni. I decided to look in depth at Jacob 7:6-15. In this section, Jacob and Sherem are discussing Sherem's belief in Christ.

3. Annotated Text:


4. Breakdown / Listing of things found:
In the part that I annotated, Jacob and Sherem go back and forth multiple times. Jacob asks Sherem if he believes that the scriptures are true, he replies saying yes. This is when Jacob says that if he believes in the scriptures then he must believe in Jesus Christ because that is what the scriptures testify. After that Sherem asks for a sign that there is a God. This is where I found out that Jacob said that HE would not tell God to give Sherem a sign. He said that if God wished to show him a sign, he would.

5. Interpretation:
To me, this seems like a play because of the way it is written.

6. Connections / Questions:
In The Book of Mormon, we learn about many different Anti-Christs. As we go through The Book of Mormon the Anti-Christs become more and more unrighteous, but they always end with them asking for God to give them a sign. God gives them a sign by having something occur to them (i.e. striking them dumb, having his power come over the, falling to the earth and being nourished, etc.) and then they confess that they always did believe. Does everyone think of the scriptures as a play that occurs in your head or is that just me?

2 comments:

  1. When I read the scriptures, I like to go to the map to identify the location. Not only that, I usually assign different attributes to each character, which is easier to do when a physical description is provided. Nevertheless, this helps me to associate each character's development within the story. I think that each person has their own way to make their reading more meaningful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this story in the Book of Mormon quite intriguing and essential.
    This experience that Jacob and Sherem have is one that maybe we can relate to our own selves. Have we ever been a Sherem, or have we ever been a Jacob?

    What do they teach us by their character development and growth?

    ReplyDelete