Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Shining Example

When I was younger, there was a lady in my ward named Teresa. Every fast and testimony meeting, Teresa would stand up and tell us about some little spiritual thing that had happened in her life during that month. I would always sit at the edge of my seat, listening to every word intently. Her voice was like honey, her words settled inside of my heart in the perfect way.

Now that I am older and I still hear her speak sometimes when I am home, I finally understand why I loved  her testimonies so much. Teresa had the power to speak with such confidence that you could not help but believe her. She also spoke with amazing passion about ever little thing in her life.

I work at an elementary school now and am required to teach in a classroom for thirty minutes everyday. I try my hardest to make my voice sound like honey and try to speak with passion like she did when I was a child. Sometimes the children listen at the edge of their seats and somedays I just am not able to be passionate over synonyms.

Maybe one day I will be able to master the talent of public speaking just as Teresa has, but I thank her so much for being an amazing example to me. She taught me how to speak from a podium and I doubt she even knows what she taught me, but I am eternally grateful for Teresa and her confidence in her small testimonies. She will always be a shining example to me.

2 comments:

  1. Your photo makes me hungry.

    I liked seeing in your post that oration is so powerful that it can be ingrained in a child's mind and remembered for years and years after. I think that is a worthy goal for us all to have in our own speech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the analogy you made of her sounding like honey and how her testimony and example was so profound for you. That is so inspiring and helps other people understand why these things are so important.

    ReplyDelete