Friday, September 26, 2014

The Law and the Light

1. Form Analyzed:
The form I analyzed was language—and more specifically the use of first-person pronouns.

2. Passage Analyzed:
My section was 3 Nephi 15-25. However, I focused my analysis on verses 9-10 of chapter 15. (Though the use of first-person pronouns was seen throughout my section.)
            “Behold, I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life.
            Behold, I have given unto you the commandments; therefore keep my commandments. And this is the law and the prophets, for they truly testified of me.”

3. Annotated Text:












4. Breakdown / Listing of things found:
In these verses, Christ uses six personal pronouns when referring to Himself, and explaining the way to salvation—which is through Him.

5. Interpretation:
In these verses (as well as in many others in this section) Christ refers to Himself in first-person and describes who He is, what He is, and what He has done for us. He specifically tells them that HE is the law and the light, and that if they follow Him, He will give them eternal life. It was neat to recognize this in these verses, it helped me to feel more connected to Christ and to better hear His message. It makes it very personal when over and over He says “I” and then “ye”. He is talking to me! He is teaching me, helping me, so that I can return to Him through the ways set in place.

6. Connections / Questions:
I am now intrigued as I so clearly see that Christ is talking to me; about how many other times in the Book of Mormon the writers/speakers use first-person pronouns? Is it a common continuation in which it is drafted and recorded for the future readers?

-Lizzy S.





3 comments:

  1. I have seen this often in Christ's diction. He wants to make it clear to us that He is doing all this for us, that He is the way for each one of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's interesting that there are only a few prophets that use the pronoun "I". They are the ones that are literally writing on the plates, but whenever Christ is speaking they are literally quoting him, and thus those personal pronouns are going to be coming out. So it's an elite group that gets this privilege, and further emphasizes the importance of their words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when Christ speaks because it's so personal. Even when the other prophets write in first person so we're able to go through their experience with them. It makes it easier to have a connection with them instead of the idea of them.

    ReplyDelete