Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Brad's Idea of Titanic Lifeboat Rebellion

Brad Wilcox has inspired many people across the world. His name is widely known among Latter-Day Saints, and he is effective in getting his point across. Why? Because he uses word choice that relates to the audience and keeps their attention through stories.

I heard Brad Wilcox give a talk one night at a fireside in my stake. He spoke about how rules and guidelines don't hold us back; they free us. He then told a story that I will never forget:

He told us to imagine a lifeboat out in a freezing cold ocean, watching the Titanic sink in front of us. The lifeboat was put in place - much like church standards - to keep us safe. Then a young adult inside the boat says, "I want to go back to the Titanic."

"Children, children," Wilcox says, "This is the lifeboat."

"But they're playing music over there!"

"It's 'Nearer My God, To Thee,' and it's because they are going to die! There's not much to offer on a sinking ship."

This really made a difference on me. Of course you wouldn't leave the safety of a lifeboat to go back to the Titanic because they were playing music. This story was simple and it got the point across to the young adults at this meeting. Brad Wilcox used something humorous to lightheartedly play off the fact that rules really are there to protect us. He used a good fluctuation of voice to separate the young man's voice from his, and he kept the mood light and fun without using big words that aren't regularly in a teenager's vocabulary.

Brad Wilcox used stories and humor to leave a memorable story in my life. He understands the art of oratory literature, and how to best present it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that stories can resonate with listeners and illustrate true principles more effectively and memorably than almost any other form. I also like how you highlight the role of humor in Mormon oratory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are exactly right in Brad's use of word choice as well as telling a common story to make his point. I think all EFY or Young Adult speakers are particularly good at doing that. I like that his point was that rules are there to protect us. Why I would want to go back to the Titanic is to rescue those who would go down with the ship. Sometimes rules are in place so we don't sink ourselves trying to rescue others.

    ReplyDelete