Friday, September 26, 2014

Lehi’s Dream of the Tree

1. Form Analyzed

I decided to look at Setting to analyze more about the geography of the place and the specific scenes related to Lehi’s dream description. In this analysis I focused on the use of first-person pronouns (“I”, “my”, “mine”)

2. Passage Analyzed

Within my section (1 Nephi 5-16), I focused my analysis on 1 Nephi 8, which talks about Lehi’s Dream of the Tree.

And it came to pass that while my father tarried in the wilderness he spake unto us, saying: Behold, I have dreamed a dream; or, in other words, I have seen a vision.
And behold, because of the thing which I have seen, I have reason to rejoice in the Lord because of Nephi and also of Sam; for I have reason to suppose that they, and also many of their seed, will be saved.
But behold, Laman and Lemuel, I fear exceedingly because of you; for behold, methought I saw in my dream, a dark and dreary wilderness.
And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy. And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.
And I also cast my eyes round about, and beheld, on theother side of the river of water, a great and spacious building; and it stood as it were in the air, high above the earth. And he also saw other multitudes feeling their way towards that great and spacious building.

 3. Annotated Text


4. Breakdown / Listing of things found

Nephi talks about Lehi’s dream and expresses his father feelings about Laman and Lemuel. Finally, Nephi describes each element on Lehi’s dream.

5. Interpretation

Nephi describes his father’s dream in which Lehi sees a vision of the tree of life. Lehi partakes of the fruit and desires to share it with his family; the fruit has been used as a symbol for the blessings of the atonement, which is required for human salvation. Therefore, partaking of the fruit represents receiving ordinances and covenants that the lord has for us. Because of this, Lehi is worried about Laman and Lemuel who seem to be in darkness and refused to partake of the fruit.
In addition, Lehi sees a rod of iron (the word of God), which is extended along the bank of the river and led to the tree. Lehi refers to a strait and narrow path that led to the tree of life, which is commonly associated with keeping the lord’s commandments and being obedient.
While many people were pressing forward to obtain the path that led to tree, there arose a mist of darkness, which represents the temptations of the devil that made many to lose their way. On the other hand, there was a great and spacious building filled with people who were mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had partaken of the fruit. This building represents the vanities of the world. As a result, many people who had partaken of the fruit, were ashamed because of those were scoffing at them, and they fell away into forbidden paths and were lost.

6. Connections/Questions

I wonder why people who were doing the right thing (had partaken of the fruit), where ashamed because of those who were mocking them. Similarly, I question whether Lehi’s vision was meant for people to see both ways of the picture, and chose their own path wisely, or simply as Emily said: Is this vision personalized to Lehi’s family?






2 comments:

  1. Great insights! interesting question brought up about who the vision was directed to. Cool insights into the landscape. Lehi mentions that the fruit he tasted was more delicious than any other fruit. Is he implying that there are other trees with other fruit that is sweet but less desirable? It makes sense. there are things in life that seem sweet and fun but do not provide lasting joy. This may be the lesser fruit Lehi is referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar question about whether accounts in the scriptures--Nephi's Psalm, Lehi's vision--are formatted for the understanding of the reader or for the writer's themselves. I think that the Lord works in the most effective way possible. Lehi's vision is meant to help warn and change the course of characters in the text, but also causes reader's to reevaluate their own direction and path in life.

    ReplyDelete