Saturday, September 27, 2014

Literary Context of a Father's Counsel

1. Form Analyzed

In this blog post, I have decided to analyze the literary context surrounding Alma's counsel to his son Corianton.

2. Passage Analyzed

Within my section (Alma 38-46), I focused my analysis on Chapter 39 verses 1-4 where Alma sets up the context for the counseling and reproving remarks on repentance, the afterlife, and the final judgement to his son Corianton.


 And now, my son, I have somewhat more to say unto thee than what I said unto thy brother; for behold, have ye not observed the steadiness of thy brother, his faithfulness, and his diligence in keeping the commandments of God? Behold, has he not set a goodexample for thee?
 For thou didst not give so much heed unto my words as did thy brother, among the people of the Zoramites. Now this is what I have against thee; thou didst go on unto boasting in thy strength and thy wisdom.
 And this is not all, my son. Thou didst do that which was grievous unto me; for thou didst forsake the ministry, and did go over into the land of Siron among the borders of the Lamanites, after the harlot Isabel.
 Yea, she did steal away the hearts of many; but this was no excuse for thee, my son. Thou shouldst have tended to the ministry wherewith thou wast entrusted.
3. Annotated Text




4. Breakdown / List of Things Found

Alma is speaking to his son and reproving him for "forsaking the ministry" and not giving as much heed to his words. Alma is speaking to his son Corianton who is back home in Zarahemla after returning home from a mission with his brothers. Corianton had not been faithful in his duties as a minister like his brothers and did commit sexual sin with a Lamanite harlot. In chapter 35 it says that a war had begun in the land between the Nephites and the Lamanites. It is also narrated in chapter 35 that Alma had been "greived for the iniquity of his people , yea for the wars, and the bloodsheds;" so he caused his sons to be gathered so he could individually speak with them and give them counsel. 

5. Interpretation

Alma lays down some reasoning for his upcoming reproof to his disobedient son. As I read the context of the situation in prior chapters, and more specifics in chapter 39, I could better understand why Alma was so direct to his son Corianton. It must have been devastating to Alma to hear that his son had been misusing his time as a missionary and sinning with those with whom they were at violent war.

6. Connections / Questions

I wonder how Corianton responded to his father's counsel. Are there other times of discipline or chastisement to family members in the Book of Mormon? This makes me wonder if Alma had to speak with Corianton on other occasions about his disobedience.

2 comments:

  1. I think this counsel is a good outline as well for fathers in our day, and can be used to help sons come back to the correct path. It makes sense how the book of mormon is specifically for our day and time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that a fathers counsel is included in this part of the Book of Mormon. Especially right before the greatest war chapters.

    I think its vital to see that these are REAL people, with real feelings, and real concerns. We can see how the Lord helped His children in the past, He will help us today, and that goes the same with family situations.

    I think it is fair to say that Alma built up great ethos before he spoke to his son, because of the experiences that Alma already had experienced. We can trust Alma and believe him, and we see a different perspective that Corianton doesn't see. What would it have been like if he could have stepped back and seen what we see--as we read. I wonder if Corianton would've made different decisions.

    ReplyDelete