Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Do Your Best, God Will Do The Rest

I’ve always been impressed by someone who can step up to the podium at a sacrament meeting and successfully walk the line between reading straight off their prepared talk and rambling about random tangents that are in no way related to the subject.

I am one of those people who is constantly correcting people’s grammar in my mind. There are days when I realized that I spent the entire fifteen minutes someone was talking, simply editing their work and not reaping any benefits from what they were saying. It is for this reason in particular that I value form and organization in public speaking.

When someone has a really well phrased speech, and then they have stories to keep me interested, and then they bring things to my attention that I had never really thought of, that is when I get the most out of a talk.

My last bishop in my home singles ward was the perfect example. He spoke recently about a variety of struggles that he has observed during his time of being the bishop of a YSA ward. His points were solid, but there wasn’t much that I hadn’t already heard time and time again.
Why then was I still riveted? What made his delivery of the topic so relieving compared to others?

Style. Tone. Form.

First off, he was confident in what he was saying. There was no “umm”-ing or hesitancy.

Secondly, he didn’t lecture us, but he wasn’t giving us a feel good talk either. He was being real.


Third, his form was impeccable. He gave stories and metaphors that we could relate to on a personal level. He had order in his talk, but it was not rigid structure. 

That is the fine line that I believe we must follow. We must do our best and bring what we have prepared and then we must be willing to let the Holy Ghost direct us and influence those in attendance.

2 comments:

  1. I like that you emphasized those three particular concepts. If a speaker han an unappealing style or tone, or if their form is lacking, it makes it so much easier to sink back into our own minds and not reap those benefits of their speech. Your bishop must be a great orator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speakers have a lot to compete with. Especially now days with smart phones and other such things. I know that I get get distracted very easily as an audience member. However when I speaker has that attributes that you described and that speaks with confidence so that you know they actually care, its hard not to listen to them, despite a burning desire to check the score of the game. I also agree that the spirit can't draw from an empty well, so we will get the most out of a speech for ourselves if we prepare before hand to recieve it.

    ReplyDelete