Monday, September 22, 2014

By Small and Simple Things

       Although there may have been some unfinished plots or an underdeveloped story, Nephi Anderson's Added Upon, is very influential to me. I am grateful that he cleared a trail that had been previously covered with rocks and foliage. As I view Added Upon in the light of Orson F. Whitney's sermon on "Home Literature" I feel that this book does quite well. He explains that, "'Truth is truth, wher'er 'tis found, On Christian or on heathen ground,' and worthy of our love and admiration, whether far or near, high or low, whether blazing as a star in the blue vault of heaven, or springing like a floweret from the soil." Whether Added Upon is a masterpiece or marginal in a literary sense, does not detract from the truth and wisdom found within its pages. I refer specifically to its teachings of the Plan of Salvation and Gospel truths that I cherish.


        Whitney said, "YE ARE AN EXAMPLE TO THE WORLD: FOLLOW NOT AFTER THEM!" Nephi Anderson truly follows a path much different than that of the world. It seems that the culture of modern literature follows a sort of "separation of church and state." I appreciate how bold Anderson is in expressing beliefs and at times preaching through his literature. To me this shows a man who is not ashamed to know and live the teachings the restored gospel. Most important though, is the influence that this small and simple book has had for mormon literature that followed. I am sure that his attempt to write great literature for reading in Latter-day saints, has inspired thousands of mormon writers. I am grateful for that, because "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise." (The Book of Mormon, Alma 37:6)


1 comment:

  1. I loved the imagery you put into my head when you said Anderson "cleared a trail that had previously been covered with rocks and foliage." He truly was a trail-blazer.

    ReplyDelete