Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Remember...


As a vital part of life for a person growing up in the LDS culture, I have heard innumerable speeches; most of which, I have no remembrance.  It is really difficult for me to recall spoken information, seeing that I am mostly a visual learner.  But occasionally, one spoken gem will shine like a lighthouse into the mysterious, foggy depths of my memory. My mission president delivered one such speech to me.

He first called my attention by referring to ancient hieroglyphs, which had to be deciphered and analyzed in order to be completely understood.  As the son of an archaeologist, I had a vivid mental image of this concept in my mind. As he explained that the scriptures also have these hidden meanings and messages inside of them, he analyzed those meanings by asking us about each key word in one verse of scripture; D&C 18:10. 

He asked us what “worth” was, and what things were precious to us in our lives.  I learned about the importance of a “soul,” or a child of God.  I was brought to ponder the things that are “great” to me. Everything important, special, large, or extensive to me was pulled into my memory.  A large turning point for me was when his delivery method of effective questions brought me to realize that the scripture does not ask what is great to us, but what is great to God. In my mind’s eye I was whisked away from the earth, out through the solar system, to the edges of the galaxy. But when I came to a halt, and beheld the greatness of the universe, I realized that to Him, that was not something extensive, or great; but I was. 

That was something that Heavenly Father wanted me to “remember.”


I have read or heard this verse of scripture hundreds of times, but when the speaker used such an effective topical structure, and delivered the message in a way that I had time in between questions to decipher and imagine the messages, it became a lesson, that I will never forget. 

2 comments:

  1. Effective teaching really helps us tap into the critical thinking part of our brain. It really is a beautiful experience when someone's words make us think about something in a whole different way

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked how you talked about it was the questions that made you learn. I think the ability to answer questions by the Spirit is the ideal learner/student. For example, when Nephi has his vision, the Spirit asks him, "what desireth thou?" and you have his account of how he learns by the spirit--because of questions. Really powerful point you explained.

    ReplyDelete