Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Simple.

I've always known the simplicity of the gospel. I never really understood how simple it could be. The reliable truths always seemed to be just beyond my fingertips, but at the age of 13 the words he spoke aloud seemed to shake me to the very core, a permanent reminder.

It was a simple talk of the pre-mission variety. The brother of a friend testifying of his knowledge of the gospel. His reasons to go.
He spoke of Joseph Smith, reciting the story I'd heard dozens of times. He then spoke of science. The sun rising and setting and all the physics behind it. Something I was only beginning to understand. He then said something that I still remember almost word for word.

"If I told you that we were on a giant rock orbiting and exploding star at exactly the right distance not to burn up or freeze to death and while all this is going on the giant rock is also spinning at exactly the right speed as to not throw us all off you would look at me a little weird. And yet we all believe the sun will come up tomorrow and it will set tonight. How is it that it is easier to believe all of that then it is to believe that a 14 year old boy was telling the truth about seeing God?"
It was simple. From my pew my 13 year old gears were turning. All of sudden everything clicked. A snowball affect of realization all in my young mind. Years of over complication calmed by this premi's words.  This was something I had never experienced. Never had anyone spoken such simple terms and testified of Joseph Smith. Those words I have never forgotten. 

2 comments:

  1. It honestly took me a minute to understand the first part of the speakers story. Once I had realized the importance for that comparison it made me think of how one would deliver that in a talk. I can hear someone stressing the point of we believe this, so why not believe this also. Pace and delivery take this from being slightly confusing to me, and making it impactful and important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhetorical questions, and questions in general are a great way to teach. However as you experienced as well can be very impactful in talks as well. When a question is posed, its hard to not internalize and analaze what they have said in relation to yourself, much in the way that Alma does in the Book of Mormon. This is a great way for a speaker to keep their audemce engaged in what is being presented.

    ReplyDelete