Friday, September 26, 2014

Alma the Judge

1.  Form Analyzed:

I decided that I would look at Characters as I was reading through my section of the Book of Mormon. The knowledge of What the name was and why they mattered in this part of the Book of Mormon.


2.  Passage Analyzed:

My assigned section (Alma 1-7) has one of few characters mentioned throughout my section, but I am going to be focusing on the first few chapters.


 3.   Annotated Text:














4.  Breakdown / Listing of things found:

Multiple accounts of scenes including Alma, from why he is who he is to what he does.
·         King Mosiah dies (Alma 1:1)
·         Alma is reign over the people or is in the judgment seat now (Alma 1:2)
·         Alma judges a case by who and what happened and why(Alma 1:2-21)
·         Peace is restored then the next event comes into play. The fifth year of the reign of the judges (Alma 1:21-2:5)
·         Alma is the judge over the Nephite and Amalici goes to war with Alma(2:8-3:1)




 5. Interpretation:

Following through the plots and settings throughout the chapters of Alma I noticed that the character  Alma at the beginning was looked up to exceedingly over his great characteristics or quality that made him somebody or something recognizable through the readings I had done (Alma 1:2).I noticed that people would go against and fall away from him many times during the reading(Alma 1:7-23 and Alma 2-3). Others were introduced and were told who they were and why they mattered (like the man who was prideful in Alma 1:5, Gideon Alma 1:7 orAmalici Alma 2:1-5). Each individual were noticed why they were there, who they were, and their own characteristics.


 6. Connections / Questions:

I wonder if in each different stories or plots the characters were so in depth recognized and announced to you? The different stories might be similar in the Book of Mormon I wonder if they go to the same length to introducing each character?



2 comments:

  1. I agree, are more important characters introduced with a lengthier introduction? Is this a fallback in the Book of Mormon? Does the lack of introduction - like a novel: He had blonde hair that glowed in the sun, and his blue eyes seemed like they could see through you, etc. - throw off the flow and create more questions than it answers for first time readers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the greatest examples of character introduction in the Book of Mormon, in my mind, is Captain Moroni. Specifically in Alma 48:11-17. These verses not only tell you who he is, but almost allow you to feel like you know him personally. I would definitely say that the Book of Mormon commonly introduces important characters so that as we read, we have desires to be like them.

    ReplyDelete