Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Power of the Spoken Word


First I'll admit I have a difficult time in praising the place of literary technique in the church.  What I love most about church speaking is the opportunity for everyone to speak, to share their personal feelings and convictions with no judgment.  To me that is beautiful!  But for a few short moments, I'll focus instead on one instance that opened my eyes to the power of strong oratory.

At one memorable stake conference, the theme was introduced as missionary work.  For some reason this was met with less than full excitement as several in the crowd seemed to make fun at the topic and even one of the speakers admitted that she "hated missionary work."  Then the stake president arose to speak.  He proceeded to give an address that combined pure conviction and faith with precise language and delivery.  I was blown away.  Not only did the tone of the meeting change, but I was able to walk away new insights that had not only informed me but also powerfully empowered me to live the gospel and to share it.  President Bragg's comments succeeded in captivating my attention and increasing my vision beyond what previous speakers had done.  As surely as I could feel the faith of this good man, I had also felt the power of his short, powerful statements resonate within me.  His talk for me transcended the norms of speaking in the church, and spoke volumes of the power of compelling oratory.







2 comments:

  1. I love how this post focuses on the power of speech. It is clear to me that no other outside influence can effect a person's thoughts and feelings as strongly as an inspired oratory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you described the talk as empowering. I think the best oratories make us want to improve and change mindsets or habits in our lives. I also like how you talk about his speech expanding your vision of the topic. It is important for speakers enlarge your understanding of a topic rather than simply reiterate what has been said before.

    ReplyDelete