Sunday, January 11, 2015

Reading has made me, me.


Hello my name is Madison Bess! I am from a family of seven and I am in the middle. I was raised in the church and growing up I hated reading. Reading was hard for me since I suffer from dyslexia. As I grew older I soon realized that it wasn’t just reading that was hard for me but math and writing and speech. (and… I just wasn’t a science girl) I loved school and I love to learn and my parents taught me that I could do anything if I worked hard enough. Well I challenged myself everyday and here I am now… an English Major. I know that I could not have done this on my own. The Lord has helped me in so many ways. One primary example is daily scripture study. By reading the scriptures I was able to practice reading in front of my family. This made is easier for me when I was called in class and church to read. The scriptures helped me to reach my goals and helped me to see it wasn’t reading that I hated but the fact that it challenge me so much. I am grateful for this challenge in my life because it has guided me to where I am now… an English Major. I am still not the fastest reader or the most accurate reader but I have come a long way. Reading has taught me more than any professor, student, or person I know. It teaches me things about myself. It teaches me about the world I live in. It teaches me that I can do anything. Reading has made all the difference in my world.

 Reading has made me, me.


1 comment:

  1. A dyslexic English major, that's amazing! What an accomplishment. I think it's great that you're embracing what could have become a great weakness. One of my brother's is dyslexic, and although he studies physics, it almost lost him his spot in a doctorate program, but he's a hard worker, and he loves to read despite his difficulty. It's really paid off.

    ReplyDelete